Monday, January 28, 2013

ACT 3 Theatrics - Time and Space to Dream & Play

ACT 3 Theatrics - Time and Space to Dream & Play

  As a child,  I used to spend close to an hour in the shower. I was not just having a bath. I was staging a football match with a wooden clothes peg standing in for the real ball. The interesting thing was my team didn't always win, even in my fantasy.

  I think I had it great as a child. I had the space, time and freedom to run a parallel life. In it, I was the son of the richest man in the whole wide world. We even had a zoo with a complete collection of animals in our imaginary sprawling bungalow.

  I was Zorro, correcting the world's injustices, with my very own cave hideout. I was a world champion motor racer, competing in my inverted half-wooden half-metallic chair that went faster than any F1 car today. (I even created my own advertisement blurbs and pasted them on the fantasy car.)  I was an explorer. A scientist. And of course I was the planet's finest footballer. The fact that I didn't always win made my parallel life all the more exciting and layered.


  Setting up ACT 3 with Ruby and Jasmin allowed me to give shape and form to my wide-ranging visions. I wrote plays, directed actors to bring the stories alive, had props, sets and costumes created, music included - and was fortunate enough to share them with generations of children and their families.






 
 

  

Today 's ACT 3 Theatrics is designed to 'pay it forward'. It is a space that gives children the time and freedom to use as their backyard, playground, nature trail, workshop, laboratory. So they too can dream and play with abandonment.




ACT 3 Theatrics - the fourth decade and beyond. Children-driven Professional Theatre Company.

R. Chandran. 29 Jan 2013. All Rights Reserved. chandran@act3theatrics.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment